The Office of Faith and Culture seeks to welcome and foster the specific cultural identity of each of the many widely differing ethnic groups in our Archdiocesan family, while building a deep Catholic unity in the faith and a common commitment to live and proclaim the Gospel.
- Advance greater competence in intercultural relations in ministry, collaborating with our bishops in carrying out their priorities in faith formation, social justice, the promotion of marriage and the fostering of vocations to the priesthood and the religious life.
- Evaluate and, where needed, improve the availability of sacraments and pastoral support in the languages of ethnic communities for those members who cannot sufficiently make use of the existing pastoral services of local parishes.
- Make diversity and its implications more recognized and understood among our church leaders and all the faithful, by promoting knowledge, attitudes and skills that effectively foster unity in diversity.
- Encourage best practices of evangelization and programs of inclusion at the diocesan and parish levels, with special attention to immigrant youth and the children of immigrants so that they will zealously assume their role in fulfilling Christ’s mission.
- Facilitate information sharing and collaboration regarding ethnic ministries and activities through a newsletter or web page.
Paul VI, apostolic exhortation Evangelii Nuntiandi, 1975.
John Paul II, apostolic exhortation Ecclesia in America, 1999.
Benedict XVI, apostolic exhortation Verbum Domini, 2010.
Francis, apostolic exhortation The Joy of the Gospel, 2013.
USCCB Secretariat of Cultural Diversity in the Church, Embracing the Multicultural Face of God, 2010.
USCCB Secretariat of Cultural Diversity in the Church, Newsletter: One Church, Many Cultures. The Good News of Cultural Diversity, published twice yearly, available at www.usccb.org.
Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), Cultural Diversity in the Catholic Church in the United States, 2016, in www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/culturaldiversity/upload/Cultural Diversity-Summary-Report-October-2016.pdf.
Office of Faith and Culture
134 Farmington Ave.
Hartford CT 06105
Sr. Clare Millea, A.S.C.J., Director